Is it possible?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
rnweller
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Is it possible?

Post by rnweller »

Hello everyone.

Here's something I've been wanting to ask for a long time..... we all have tons of vector graphics in our collections. Is it possible to convert it into 3D models. Chuck said recently that he went from Autocad into Wings 3D. What did you convert and what does it look like? If it can be done, what programs would be needed? Are there any tutorials on the net? Would the experts be willing to give us some instructions and examples? Any help or information along these lines would be greatly appreciated by many of us. Thanks in advance.

Norm
Evans, GA

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Is it possible?

Post by CRFultz »

rnweller wrote:Hello everyone.

Here's something I've been wanting to ask for a long time..... we all have tons of vector graphics in our collections. Is it possible to convert it into 3D models. Chuck said recently that he went from Autocad into Wings 3D. What did you convert and what does it look like? If it can be done, what programs would be needed? Are there any tutorials on the net? Would the experts be willing to give us some instructions and examples? Any help or information along these lines would be greatly appreciated by many of us. Thanks in advance.

Norm
Evans, GA
Hey Norm,
I can't elaborate to much on this cause I'm learning more each day.
In reference to AutoCad, I can generate a solid to a exact dimension and then save it as a 3ds file and import into Wings 3d.
Wings doesn't allow for exact size entry...it works off units that are arbitrary to whatever you wish them to be.
If you generate a 12" diameter torus in AutoCad...you will know that it will be 12" in Wings.
Thats really the only advantage here...thats far away from being able to model a 3D image.
I would think that in order to take a 2d image and trace it onto a solid and them model it up would be a very time consuming task.
I would luv to be able to do it but that is out of my realm of understanding. And yes it is possible...

Chuck