What type of material?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
rkd

What type of material?

Post by rkd »

Hi, i just finished machining the Vector3d moose model on a piece of scrap MDF. The results were pretty impressive however the MDF left lots of little fuzzies and also in a couple spots tiny chunks came loose. My question is, what woods is everyone finding good for pretty detailed 3d models? Hard wood vs. soft wood, tight grain vs. loose grain etc.
Thanks ,Ryan

frank_hav

Post by frank_hav »

I usally use MDF also, it will have fuzz on the climb milled side. I have found that this comes off fairly well with a little scotchbight pad. The type of wood will depend a lot on what your doing with the model. Mine usally will get resined and sanded anyway. They are not visual per say but with a little effort they become smooth and water resistant.

Frank H
Frank Haverkamp
Community Loudspeakers
333 East 5th Street
Chester, PA. 19013
1-800-523-4934 xt 128

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

Hello

We have cut oak, maple, birch, pine, aspen, fur, sign foam, corian, mdf, and some other things. The hard woods I think are the best for wood. The fur was a bit sappy and coated the bits, so I did not much like that. Sign foam is cool stuff and takes the details perfect Roughing with a 3/8 mill end for finishing with the 1/8" ballnose I can cut at 600 IPM and get a perfect finish. Mdf usally gives the same problem as you described. The fuzzys come off but when you chip out pieces then you have to find something else. We use oak the most but that is what 99% of all jobs we do are in. But you can 3d cut any material but I would like sign foam as the easiest then to hard woods.

Mark M

“As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”

Albert Einstein