A couple of small problems.....

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Normsthename

A couple of small problems.....

Post by Normsthename »

Yesterday I purchased the full version of the software and I am very happy :)
I used it today in anger for the first time on my own projects, and found a couple of small problems........
Slicing Problem
After slicing a model into 25mm slices, when you reload the sliced part you cannot specify a thicker material.
The program will allow you to specify a thicker material, but the program will not machine the flat sections where it 'mates' onto the next slice.
Reason I wanted to use a slightly thicker material was because the wood I was using was slightly warped, and I wanted the machine to take a small skim to get the material flat again.
I have attached a couple of pictures showing the problem, and another file where I specifyed a 25mm thicker material.
Hope I have made myself clear......
Cutout request
When machining a cutout path, it would be nice if the program could machine the cutout path from both sides, this would mean that the tool length does not have to be a silly length!

Thanks

Andy
Attachments
Slice 3.jpg
Slice 2.jpg
Slice 1.jpg

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Andy,

Interesting points and I'd recommend first skimming the material flat and to the
required thickness using an End Mill. Otherwise using the finishing Ball Nose will
waste a lot of time (small stepover) machining the top surface flat.

Tony

Normsthename

Post by Normsthename »

Interesting points and I'd recommend first skimming the material flat and to the
required thickness using an End Mill. Otherwise using the finishing Ball Nose will
waste a lot of time (small stepover) machining the top surface flat.
The wood I was using today was actually 28mm thick, and I wanted to use 25mm slices with it, so it would have took a couple of mm off the top of the wood first.
Ideally the program would use the roughing end mill to skim the mating surface flat, and then the finishing tool would not go over the machined face??
There is a slight difference in the way the program handles slices, if it could perhaps load the slice in as just a standard 3D shape, then the program would machine the flat sections??

Andy