Lessons learned

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

doglaw
Vectric Apprentice

Lessons learned

Post by doglaw »

This is an 8ft x 4ft redwood sign that I machined using a model that James B. created and the 3D Machinist software. The wheel is an overlay and the v-carving was done to a depth of .3 inches. The wheel is 40" in diameter and took about 50 hours to machine. The rest of the sign took another 24+ hours to machine. To say that I am satisfied with V-carve Pro and the 3D machinist models/software would be a terrible understatement. The software is just terrific and I really look forward to using it whenever I can. I just wish all other aspects of sign making were as easy or predictable.

And, now for the rest of the story. I made the wheel blank by laminating 2 x 6 redwood together. Of course I alternated the grain direction so as to minimize the problems with swelling and curling. I screwed the blank down to the table to prevent it from moving and started machining early in the morning. The roughing pass didn’t take too long to complete and I got right on the finishing path and ran it all day. Since everything was running like clock-work, I decided to let it run all night. I woke-up, ran to the shop, and was so disappointed to discover that the wheel had started curling up and I machined much of the wheel too deeply. Over 20 hours of machining and a partially completed wheel ended up in the wood stove. Lesson 1 learned the hard way.

Not to be out done, lesson 2 was even a harder lesson learned. I took the customer color selection and went to a big chain hardware/paint supply store. I explained to the paint counter clerk what I was doing and asked for his recommendation for the best primer and paint and ended up purchasing what he recommended. He said both products would cover in one coat.

I was really pleased with how well the primer went on and one coat seemed to cover pretty well. Figuring the top coat would cover in one application, I decided it would take longer to mask the wheel than to hand cut around it. So I proceeded. Unfortunately, the clerk was wrong and four coats and many hours later I started removing the mask from the letters in the sign. To my dismay, as I was pulling up the mask, the paint started lifting as well. The paint didn’t adhere to the primer at all and I ended up removing all the paint and re-applying the mask, primer, and paint which added another 3 days to my already late project. Needless to say, I did wish to speak with the store manager. :evil:

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Doglaw, good lessons for everyone I expect. Great job though. Thanks for posting it... Cheers,
James

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Nice sign, I think all the effort you put into it showed.

As far as primer is concern I am a Jay Cooks sign primer fan!!

Drop by my forum at http://www.signforums.com we have thousands of members and many who have been doing wooden signs for years.

Because its a forum for sign businesses you will need to register before you can veiw most topics but its free and ez.

Make sure you drop into the foyer and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome then post some of your work in the portfolio for others to get inspired.

coop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC- 25X25-50X50

maks problems

Post by coop »

your experience with the paint lifting of very common,
some of the fixes are...
lifting the mask while the paint is still wet of possible before it forms a thick film,
or if the design is simple enough, cutting around the edge with a knife, this sometimes
requires an extremly smooth hand for complicated designs, i am sad to say i know this from experience !
if you keep the paint application very thin at the mask line you have much better performance
also if you can not do the paint wet option pull the mask straight back tight to the material
and keep a knife ready to trimm any lifting
the project looks great by the way !
coop

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I've had luck rubbing the paint mask with carnauba wax before cutting on the machine.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

coop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC- 25X25-50X50

paint lifting

Post by coop »

most paints require a long drying time as the surface dries and seals the paint
making it a longer process to fully cure and greate the maximum bond to
the primer.
i have lifted many paints before they fully cured and bonded to the basecoat !
see ya
coop

doglaw
Vectric Apprentice

Post by doglaw »

Coop:

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel that cure time was an issue on this project as I did let the paint cure for 2 days before I attempted to remove the mask. I am convinced the problem was with the primer. Since I was very late delivering the project already, I just changed both primers and topcoat - going to something I was sure to bond and finish the job. I just had never experienced something like this before where there absolutely no bond between primer and top coat. :shock: