inverted 3d art

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Joe Wolf

inverted 3d art

Post by Joe Wolf »

hello everyone
I was looking through random forums and I seen a sea horse inverted in a piece of plexi glass. It was carved in the back and viewed from the front, the front was all flat like glass. It Looked really good, then I tried it and could not get it to invert the art. All I could get was the carving like the 3d clip art, I would add words and reverse them but they didn't carve in inverted either. When you looked at the back of the plaque, I wanted the art to be recessed in, and it just keeps coming up with the raised 3d image carved deep inside. I'm trying to get something like the inside of a spoon effect.
Does anyone have an idea on carving it?
Joe

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: inverted 3d art

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Joe,

To create the effect you are looking for, the 3D model would have to be created or modified so it becomes a negative and then a toolpath created. You don't mention what software you have, but Aspire would be what you need to create or modify an image like this.

In the eagle example below, the left side is what you typically see when the image is 'added' to the material. On the right side the model and text has been mirrored and then 'subtracted' from the surface to become an image like what you would machine from the backside.

Ask if you need more or I haven't answered your question.

Tim
Attachments
Eagle.JPG

Joe Wolf

Re: inverted 3d art

Post by Joe Wolf »

Hi Tim
I do have Aspire, sorry for not including that info. I will be in the garage tonight right after dinner to give it a shot.
Thank you
Joe