Dang it Rick !

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Dang it Rick !

Post by calgrdnr »

You made them look so Dang nice! I had to at least give Vectorart another shot ....
LOL such nice models to hard not to buy :D
Here is one I had to cut. thank TomB for nice OLD redwood

Nose is at 1.53 inches
Attachments
Not bad great background web .jpg

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Ok now I am just playing with the camera :)

Post by calgrdnr »

Sorry guys trying to learn to get better pictures :mrgreen: AA bat if you didnt figure out :wink:
Attachments
P1010096.JPG
P1010097.JPG
P1010099.JPG

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Re: Dang it Rick !

Post by jhop »

Sweeeeeeeet!!

rdhharm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rdhharm »

Kent,

Very nice. :lol: :lol:

It is hard to get good looking pictures when a project turns out good to show all of the detail, but all of us here now what the detail is and appreciate all of the hard work that goes into these.

What process did you use to make this????

Rick

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Kent,

That looks great. The finish is exceptional!

I did a few projects out of redwood a few years ago and really enjoyed working with it. Then I went back to where I had bought it and was told a company in CA had sent a representative who purchased their entire remaining stock and shipped it back to CA. Obviously the lumber yard made a profit or they wouldn't have sold it. Bottom line is I can't find another source in my immediate area.

Your comments on photographing your projects are accurate. I normally take dozens of pictures trying to get one I'm happy with. Even then, it takes some adjustments in Photoshop.

But let me pass on a tip I received from a retired commercial photographer who is in my woodworking club. He told me about foam boards you could get from the office supply stores that have a flat finish on one side. Sure enough, I was able to find and purchase two boards, each 20" x 30", one in navy blue and the other black. The colors make for good contrast when you place your project on it and the flat finish limits light reflections. Your project would look good against the navy blue background, and there are other color choices.

Here's a link to the brand I purchased: http://www.elmers.com/product/product_p ... ode=950050

I actually found them in the craft section at my local WalMart.

Tim

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks for the kind words guys .

Rick I used aspire to generate everything . rough cut .25 em, z level Y axis ,profile none.
I used raster 315 degrees in the finish .125 beckwith tapered bit. with 10 % stepover.
I ended up with machine marks I wasn't happy with. but as this was a test piece. not a big deal
( I glued broken redwood piece so knew glue would show...)

I was thinking I had some issues with Z or Y axis not tight enough. But bill at JoesCNC site
had similar problem and he used beckwith bit. So I measured the bit. I come up with 0.119
I will adjust bit size and try again when I get some 2 inch stock.

Thanks Tim for the photo tips. I met a guy here who has some redwood from some olive curing vats
that were torn down. That was one reason I was testing out this piece. ( it came from wine cask :) )
I will try get some of that wood next . I am worried about the salts that impregnated the wood though.
I wonder how it will finish or leaches out when ages .. only time will tell :)

rdhharm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rdhharm »

Ken,

I used to get machine mark, than I changed the stepover to 5% haven't had a probelm since.

Rick

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

sometime i just don't like this forum... after i saw your workout on this model... i just bought it... :-) with two other...

it really hard to resist...

thanks
to posting..

viktor

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks Rick . I use 8% on my lithophanes...Yeah I don't know why I thought 10% would work :lol:
sometime i just don't like this forum... after i saw your workout on this model... i just bought it... with two other...it really hard to resist...
All Ricks fault !! :P

rdhharm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rdhharm »

[quote="calgrdnr sometime i just don't like this forum... after i saw your workout on this model... i just bought it... with two other...it really hard to resist...[/quote]

All Ricks fault !! :P[/quote]

Kent,

LOL!!!!!!

I will take the blame I have big shoulders :D :D

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

yes it is a real deep relief

even i reduced the height, it still looks pretty.. anyway i will give one more test for this, glue it up for 3 might be 4 inch...

thanks
viktor

of course i made from some cutoff... to make samples from quality wood that cost too much..
Attachments
green preview.jpg
GEDC0738.JPG

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Very nice, like the frame. You must have a shop full of samples ... you are most productive :)