Works in progress

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Works in progress

Post by Les_linton »

Here are a few of the things that I am currently working on.

They are all files that James originally did for my or modifications of his originals. The customers were more than happy to pay for the mods...

The long board, while hard to see, is there to show you how you can bring the 3D files in and copy the tool paths to do multiples.

Enjoy for now, and I will post the finished products in a couple of weeks.

Les
Attachments
Corner Single.jpg
(123.02 KiB) Downloaded 859 times
Corner Array.jpg
(135.6 KiB) Downloaded 975 times
40 inch Flourish.jpg
(169.35 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

How long did it take to machine all the ones on the long board? Or should I even ask?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

Roughing = Elapsed: 00:51:26

Finishing = Elapsed: 03:56:55

A while to say the least. I used a 1/4" endmill for the roughing and 1/16" ball nose endmill for the finishing.

Les

andkal

Post by andkal »

So the long board took abot 5 hours to machine, just curious how much can you charge for that?

If you would rather not say I understand

Thanks,
Andy K

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Les the 40 inch flourish came out really well. Thanks for posting the picture of that and the other stuff, great work as always. cheers James.

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

Well Andy.... how much am I getting for that?

So far, I have not been selling these as individual pieces, but rather as additions to work I quote.

The piece I am doing is a mantel and over mantel. Basicly one mantel sitting on top of another. The difference between mine and the two competitors was that they were using rosettes for the plinth blocks and upper corners and an angled keystone for the center of the two frieze boards.

I'm using 6 of the pieces on the long board for this project, the other two will be for a display sample and two of the 40 inch flourish pieces. Total machine time is about 18 -19 hours and then an additional three hours getting the pieces to where I want them.

My quote was $1000 higher than the competitor AND they bought the corbels seperate...

So, I'll say the Bot was making $50 an hour while I was working on other things....

So far, I have been able to keep all my pricing as a single piece and have not had to do individual pricing...

Les
Attachments
As Sold 1.pdf
(37.78 KiB) Downloaded 717 times

andkal

Post by andkal »

Les,

Thanks for taking the time to answer,
Andy K

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

USMC Emblem

Post by Les_linton »

Here is my first attempt at the Marine Corps Logo....

Done in Maple. I blew it off with air and hit it with a brush. No sanding so far.

Will try to get a little better detail in the morning.

The picture really does not do it justice.

Les
Attachments
Maple.jpg
(254.63 KiB) Downloaded 932 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Wow that came out nice.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Colin P F
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Colin P F »

:D Hi Les
The Marine Corps Logo looks very nice, Can't wait to see it finished, What size will the finished job be?

Cheers,

Colin

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Nice work Les, someone is going to be very pleased.

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

Thanks everyone.

This is probably going to be the size that I cut for the ends of the sword display, and it is 6" from outer edge of rope to rope.

total time with four bit changes was just over two hours. I used 1/4" end mill for roughing, 1/16 ball nose for finish, 1/4" 60 deg. V for "semper fi" (can't really read it this small) and 1" 90 deg. V for the other text. If I was to do this as a larger display piece, I would probably bump up to an 1/8" ball nose for the finish cut.

Not sure how to finish the maple. I'm open for suggestions, but to try to get the detail, I was thinking of a thinned down wash coat of lacqure to keep the stain from soaking in everywhere, a quick brush off and then a lighter stain like a golden oak and quickly wipe off all but what is in the cracks.....

Les

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Les,
That looks Fantastic, and I hope you don't mind a few questions as I have to attempt this same file.

How thick is the material and roughly what are the different depths of the dish in the middle and height of the emblem?

The 1/16" ballnose tool you used . Was it a 2 flute? or 4 flute?
Each tool just 1 pass? would it help to make a second pass at a different angle with the ballnose?
And If I understand your post right. the file doesn't have any of the text? You added this with VCarvePro?
As you said the " Semper Fi" text isn't readable in the picture. But can it be seen when holding it?

Again looks fantastic. I hope that I can duplicate your quality.

I'm being told that they are wanting this as a plaque of a size about 14" diameter.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

Don,

Thanks for the compliment.

The piece I started with is 7/8 thick.... just because it was there...

the dish is just under 1/4" deep, the top of the rope is about 1/64 the breast of the eagle might be another 64th deeper.

Ball nose was 2 flute (don't know how you would get 4 on it???) Precise Bits. That tool had 15 hours of work cutting oak before this piece.

A second pass??? I doubt that I will do anything to this maple piece but touch up a couple areas of end grain fuzz. Maybe on oak, but probably not.

The text "is" in the file. It is a VCarve File, so you can edit it.

The Semper Fi is "not" readable at this size. You know it is there, but the ribbon is only about 3/64" wide.

I would think that at the size you are talking about it should be readable.

To get it to cut into the ribbon, I had to lower my z zero by .012 so you may want to play with that a bit to see what you get.

Hope that helps,

Les

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Question for Don... Routnabout

Post by Les_linton »

Don,

I'm very happy with the results that I've gotten on my "test" pieces, but at a local arts and crafts fair here this past weekend some guy had signs done up with different military logos on them....

All of his marine stuff simply had United States Marine Corps in the outer circle... As I thought about that this weekend, it occured to me that most any movie, book, documentory or anything else I've seen or heard seemed to always have the Navy and Marines fighting with each other.....

Now, the Marines are still under the Department of the Navy.... but.....

My guy is a dyed in the wool "Jar Head".... (still addresses me as sir) and since he has no idea that I am going to put this on his sword cases....

Could you get an opinion from the guys you are talking to?? I would hate to offend..

Would appreciate it.

Les