Works in progress

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Question for Don... Routnabout

Post by RoutnAbout »

Les_linton wrote:Don,

...it occured to me that most any movie, book, documentory or anything else I've seen or heard seemed to always have the Navy and Marines fighting with each other.....
Now, the Marines are still under the Department of the Navy.... but.....

Could you get an opinion from the guys you are talking to?? I would hate to offend..
Would appreciate it.
Les
Les, your correct, the Marines and Anchor Crankers (Navy) are always butting heads, at least after a few of Jays Brewskees.. But they do belong to the department of the Navy. So there is a camaraderie there as there is with all men\women in the service. But I'm unsure of what your wanting the opinion of? the way the ensignia will be put on the sword case? or how it should look?

I won't be able to speak for all Jar Heads but I was in for 12 years so ask away!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

My stepbrother was in the Navy for 8 years and if you say the word Maries next to him he gets a crazy look in his eye (no joke). But he worked in the reactor room on subs that whole time, so maybe that had some effect.

I will say this, I'm 100% sure if he saw your carving he'd like it. Maries or not.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Post by Les_linton »

Don,

My question is simply... Do I change the text from Department of the Navy .....

To just "United States Marine Corps"? The emblem on the door at the Marine recruters office has just that...

Les

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Les if you're not sure I'd ask the people you're making it for. I do work for a company that sells scopes to the US military and at a meeting misspoke and said Marines when I meant Army. Man if I could have found a hole to crawl in I would have.

Better safe then sorry.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

I agree with what you are saying Jay and may have to do just that. The issue is that he doesn't know that I've had this file made and am adding it to his cases. I simply told him I was going to "try" to add some type of "design" to the ends....

He just thinks I'm running a routed edge on it...

Regardless of how I do it, he would never complain.

I hate to ruin the surprise, but I will probably do what you say...

Les

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Maybe you can ask in some round about kinda way. Like 'Hey wouldn't it make you mad if you saw the Marines seal with 'Dept on Navy on it?'

Or 'Those Navy guys sure like to lord over the Marines' and if he says 'You're damn right I hate those Navy &#**#&' Then don't put the Navy thing on it. hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Les, Sorry it took so long to respond.
The file that James made is the official Marine Corps Seal. So I don't think it'll offend any Marine. And it will make the project more official or authentic.
But on all of the T-shirts, bumber stickers, coffee mugs as well as on the buttons of all of their dress uniforms is just the emblem. ( Eagle, Globe and Anchor )

So if you were to ask my opinion, I think the seal (which is the file that James made) would be the best way to go. As I stated above that it'll make the project more authentic and official.

And I for one want to thank you for that specific question.
Without a doubt I know this Marine will be honored and endebted to you for such a project, especially with this added feature.
Just be ready.. he may have a lump in his throat and unable to speak for a bit.

This Saturday (on the 16th), I'll be at a large gathering of Veterans that takes place each year. I'm told they have several vendors of which sell and make military badges and crafts. And I'll get a good feel for that end of it and will share that info when I get back.

I did print off the picture of the one you made in maple and the picture of rendering and showed it to about 5 Marines at the local Marine Corps League and they all wanted to know where to get it and how much will it cost... they were ready to buy one on the spot. I settled for a few drinks while I took their orders. One mentioned that we could do their job without the Navy, as the put us on their cruise ships and take them anywhere they want to go.

okay, thats enough for now. Can't wait to here about the results Les, and I'll share anything I get from this gathering this weekend.
________
Don

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Problem Solved

Post by Les_linton »

Well guys, I bit the bullet and took them to him to see his reaction....

Without hesitation, after a brief "wow" look he said, "DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY... WHAT THE **** IS THAT ALL ABOUT?".

Don, there was that lump in the throat next and a moment of reflection....

I offered to change it, and after a bit of kidding around, he commented that we have the "official" seal and he felt that it would be the best thing to use.

I think that I saw some watery eyes too, could have just been the light though.

Thanks again for your input.

Oh, and by the way... I have this rule about staining maple.... I broke it.... STUPID, STUPID.

I won't do that again... made those pieces look like crap... Stupid!!!

I'll be doing them in oak sometime in the near future and will see how that works...

Les

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

I'm glad the he liked it and felt that he'd have that kind of reaction.
Keep of the good work and inspiratin Les, I'll be attempting this next week.
________
Don

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Don, sorry I have not added the file to the website yet, I will do my level best to get it there tomorrow at the latest. As you know my new daughter has kept me otherwise engaged :)
Les - great work as always glad he likes it even with the Navy stuff... Just tell him a dumb limey put it in the file.

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Les_linton »

Not to worry James. He likes it just the way it is.

Les

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

James, No need to rush.
I don't need to start until the middle of October, so anytime next week will be fine.

And as Les mentioned. The file looks great just as it is. Take time with your daughter and wife and enjoy Fatherhood.
________
Don

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Don, the USMC emblem is up on the front page http://www.vectorart3d.com - you can also find it be typing in "jarhead" into the search on the BRowse 3D Models page :)

The eagle on its own, the globe and the rope border will be available soon as individual models. The version Les has is slightly different as it is designed the dish to conform more to the "Official Seal". Anyone who purchases the B style (dished) emblem I can email this alternate version to in case it is useful. I am also happy to email the CRV file with the text layout (including the Navy part) to people buying the B style model but you will need to re-format it for your own size and use. Email me if you buy the logo and want any of this additonal info - jab(at)carve3d(dot)com. Cheers, James

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Thanks James,
I'll probably purchase the emblem with the seal sometime at the end of next week, as I'm replacing my control board. :( this weekend.
________
Don

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Problem Solved

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Les_linton wrote: Oh, and by the way... I have this rule about staining maple.... I broke it.... STUPID, STUPID.

I won't do that again... made those pieces look like crap... Stupid!!!

I'll be doing them in oak sometime in the near future and will see how that works...
Les
thats a great looking piece Les, but do share your rule about staining maple for those of us less experienced folk? :) Thanks.