Vector Art 3D Machinist Carving

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Vector Art 3D Machinist Carving

Post by dman »

First cut using the new Vectric made software for VectorArt3d. WOW! I ran a roughing pass with a 1/8" ballnose bit 20% stepover and then ran the finishing path with a 3/64" (.047) ballnose 20% stepover. Image size is 3". Total cut time was about 30 min. cutting at 50 ipm. This will be a great additon to an already wonderful product in Vcarve. Incorporating Vcarve,PhotoVcarve and now 3D Machinist into one place will be a great asset to layout and design. Great work guys.
Attachments
3DSample2.JPG
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
3DSample1.JPG
(22.29 KiB) Downloaded 962 times

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I've been trying out VectorArt 3D and have been pretty impressed with the results. Used a 0.25 ballnose to rough it out and then finished it with a 0.03 ballnose at 15% stepover. Took about 3.5-4hours. I could have gone faster but I was afraid to push the 0.03 bit to hard.
Attachments
Moose Zoom.jpg
(260.63 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
Moose Full.jpg
(250.45 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Jay.....

Very Nice !!

Tell me more about the 1/32" bit, and the speeds !!

Paul N.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

It's a ballnose bit and I ran around 12ipm. I could run at 15ipm but it made me nervous. Also I did the roughing pass with a .25 ballnose to within .02 inches of the final depth. That way the little bit wouldn't have too much to remove. Oh and I had it set for 15% step over on both the roughing and finishing passes. You could get away with 20% but I think 15% gives a better finish.

When it was done all I did to finish it was buff it up to white diamond girt and then give it a final buffing with wax. The buffing works nice because the high spots get more shine so you get a nice effect.

Thats about all I can think of. If I missed something just ask.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Excellent work Jay! I have to make some items using this software. We are in the process of a living room remodel. I think I will use both vcarve and 3d model for some end tables and a coffee table once I get the new trimwork finished. :D . Maybe by then the new version of Vcarve will be out for us to try and I can design all in one spot. That is going to be a great feature.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Most excellent Jay!
Who do you get your little bits from...The last order I made was from Precise bits but I'm always looking for a better deal.
Chuck

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I got the little bit from http://american-carbide.com/ It's the first bit I've gotten from them and I've been happy so far. They make down to 0.01 in the micro bits. I've been thinking about trying some of their larger bits. And I believe they make the bits here in the US with US carbide.

Some place we should start a thread of just places to buy bits and where not to buy bits. I know I'm always on the hunt for new places and better deals. Maybe I'll do that.

EDIT: I started a thread about where to get bits here: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Paul_n
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PR96

Post by Paul_n »

Jay.....

Thanks for the bit data, great idea.
I will look into these small bits.

You stated you used, " white diamond grit " , could you
please give a bit more detail on that process ??

Sorry for all the questions !!!

Paul N

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Don't mind the questions one bit.

I have a buffer that I use for finishing stuff. It's basically a bench grinder geared down to 1700rpm. After it was cut I buffed the piece first with Tripoli buffing compound. I then used white diamond compound. And the final step is to buff with carnauba wax.

I really like buffing stuff to finish it. You can get a really nice mellow looking finish in minutes. Also with buffing the higher grit you sand the piece to the more gloss you get out of buffing. For example on my stamp project I sanding up to 1500 grit and then buffed.

Here's where I get my buffing stuff from: http://www.bealltool.com/products/buffing/buffer.php

I know it sounds silly but once you try it you start finishing everything by buffing it.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)