Bat Carving

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

harryball
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha

Bat Carving

Post by harryball »

The carved bat is not being punished :D He's in his storage position in the bat trailer...

Well, things have slowed down enough I can get some time to start posting a few things again. This is the bat from Vector Art 3D that James made. It's about 36" wide. I carved it in 3/4" UL Trupan using the free Machinist and VCarvePro. I used a 1/4" ball nose with a 12% stepover.

He's a little worse for wear having been touched by more than 500 kids so far. We had him at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens Sunday and the kids loved it so much more than the plastic toys they usually get to see. It's important to me to make things the kids can touch rather than excluding them from it on a wall or behind glass. They love this bat, it gets a huge amount of attention. I hope over the next few months I can have more models developed including a full scale 6' wingspan flying fox which we currently just have a Vcarve cut out of.
Attachments
IMG_4501 [1280x768].JPG
IMG_4500 [1280x768].JPG
Robert
http://www.habitatforbats.org
Give a Bat a Home!

andyb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCAM, Shopbot PRTAlpha

Post by andyb »

Robert,
Looks good. My daugther thought it was a real bat.

Andy B.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

That looks really good (and I guess timely for Halloween or is that too stereotypical for bats!), its a great paintjob and finish the wings look very realistic (at least to me). Would it be OK to put the images on the Vector Art 3D website with appropriate credit? Cheers, James

harryball
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha

Post by harryball »

Sure James, I can even get better photos if you like.

This little guy will get a lot of use. We'd covered him with spray acrylic and the kids have rubbed it off in places. I'm going to reseal him before we start our spring workshops and hopefully he'll have some friends by then. It's rewarding to see the kid's eyes light up when they see this bat on the table.
Robert
http://www.habitatforbats.org
Give a Bat a Home!