Intarsia

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Intarsia

Post by grahamshere »

Well I did an intarsia of the free lily provided va3d to see if it can be done from a 3d model, guess it can. Graham
Attachments
flower intarsia.jpg

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Nice work Graham!

The model kind of pops out at ya.
I like it..... :D
What kind of wood is in the back?

Chuck

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Graham, that is very nice - I am interested how you achieved this but understand if you want to protect your process? Cheers, James

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Thank you for the complements, It realy give a carving a differnt look I guess, And no staining , just a clearcoat. James its very simple to do, You trace out the pieces with a drawing program, I use pattern wizard, It's actually a staind glass pattern program , Then I cut it out with a scroll saw, I do that because I have a little whip in my machine but it may cut things out better than I do with the saw lol. then I glue the pieces together onto a backing, 1/4" mdf then machine it as you would a block of wood. ill try to make a tutorial on this so ppl can follow it . Its very simple . And I dont mind sharing my work flow. All the wood I use is cedar exept the frame, its bl walnut and the flower part is pine. Theres the pattern if you want to try, Make sure its the same size as your model before machining. there ya go have fun. Graham

dasch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dasch »

Very, very cool Graham!
Congrats.
Is it possible to see a bigger picture?

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Thanks Dasch, Ill see if can load the pict again , like a dummy i deleted the pict after loading it from the cam, Dontwant too big a pict might see all my flaws lol. Graham