Aquatic Furniture Sign

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

mattster

Aquatic Furniture Sign

Post by mattster »

Greetings,
Well, I took my first stab at doing 3D. It is the main thing I've wanted to do since buying my Shopbot over 3 years ago. I'm grateful to Vectric and the Vector Art 3D guys for making something so cool, so affordable.

So, this sign is for my company (Digital Router Works), and my buddy's, who is a full time cabinet maker. He is really into tropical fish. So he has his fish tank stands on display at a local fish shop. We have done some neat carving, mostly with VCP, on some of his other stands. This sign is to go in the shop and advertise doing upgrades on doors and hoods for fish tanks, both V-carved images and 3D stuff, like the lighthouse.

The sign is done in knotty alder (hence the knot in the house at the base of the lighthouse). I ran a 1/4" ball mill for my roughing, and an 1/8" round nose bit @ 10% stepover for the finish. All lettering was done with VCP. We decided to glaze the lighthouse to give it some depth. Man, does every sanding flaw come out when you do that! Anyway, I'm pleased with how it came out. Hopefully, it brings more business my way.

Cheers,

Matt
Attachments
Lighthouse 2.jpg
Lighthouse 1.jpg

den73160

Post by den73160 »

Very nice.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Great sign, it is a good way to show people what you can do and a nice use of our models! Thanks for sharing this. Would it be OK to put the image in our Gallery on the website? If so let me know who you want it credited to and if you have a website for us to link to.

Regards,
James

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Matt,

Excellent job. I like the layout and how all the elements work together.

I am still experimenting with glazes. Mind sharing how you did yours and the products you used, etc.

Thanks,

Tim

mattster

Post by mattster »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words.

James, yep, post away. I would be flattered. You can contact me with board mail, or at matt@digitalrouterworks.com. My website is www.digitalrouterworks.com.

The sign was initially sprayed with lacquer. Once dry, I proceed to set the sign up on my machine. I cut some shallow passes around the squares for the "D", "R", and "W". I took some craft paint and painted those squares. Once dry, I set about carving the lighthouse. Once that was done, I covered the lettered section in Gerber Mask II, and cut the lettering. Painted the lettering, let dry, removed the mask, sanded the lighthouse, and shot the whole thing with another coat of lacquer. Once dry, I sanded the carving with 220 sandpaper, and I took some Sherwin Williams Van Dyke glaze and worked it into the carving. The edges where I didn't sand very well took the glaze the darkest. This bugged me at first, by I kind of liked the shadow effect. Once that was dry, I shot it all one more time with lacquer.

Hopefully, it will be on display this week. Now, I've just got to work out some pricing to go along with it.

-Matt