My first 3D carvings

Gallery for samples created from Design and Make 3D Machinist or using Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Phil
Vectric Wizard

My first 3D carvings

Post by Phil »

I finally got to carve a couple of 3D carvings. All went well. I'm very pleased with the software and the files.
Attachments
Fleur de Lis.jpg
Eagle.jpg

andyb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCAM, Shopbot PRTAlpha

Post by andyb »

Phil,
They look good.

Andy B.

Warren
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Router

Post by Warren »

Phil,

It looks from your carvings that you cut on a 45º angle.
What was the size of the Fleur De Lys and what cutter size and stepover did you use?

One of the problems I seem to be having, (doesn't show on your Pine version) is that when I machine into 1" thick Acrylic 1/2" deep, I seem to get an overrun on the Z travel. This creates a kind of shaddow arround the finished part. Also the dished area seems to run in concentric circles.

Perhaps James B could help me out here.
Do I have a problem with my machine or is this associated with the method of construction of the original relief file?

BTW. The size of my FDL. is 120mm dia. Finish cut in both X & Y direction with a 1.5mm dia ballnose. 8% stepover.
Sorry about the quality of the pictures but I think you can see the results I am getting.

Cheers,
Warren.

PS. Just a little tip for anyone here.
Don't cut Oak with a 1.5mm ballnose then try to get a decent finish on clear Acrylic with the same tool.
Do the Acrylic first, then the Oak.
Attachments
Fleur De Lys back.jpg
Fleur De Lys front.jpg

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Warren,

the carvings were done at a 45 degree angle. The Fleurde Lis is 8" in dimeter. I use a 1/8" round nose bit with a .1 stepover.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi warren,

what format and software are you using to cut the parts with. Perhaps that will help me diagnose the concentirc circle issue?
Phil, nice cuts!
Thanks,
James

Warren
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Warren »

Hi James,

I saved the file in 3d Machinist then imported into VCPro.
Finally saved the toolpaths to my Pacer ATC Arcs mm (*.G00)

I cut a roughing toolpath first with a 6mm endmill, leaving 0.5mm for the finish cut.
I was trying to get the ultimate result so after completing the first finishing cut I reset that toolpath to cut at 90º to the first.

Hope this helps ?

Cheers,
Warren.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi Warren,

I ran the part through Machininst to take a look at the preview and all seems to look OK. This is normally a pretty good sign that all will be well with the output as what you see in the preview is normally what you get on the machine. I am not sure what would cause the shadowing and circles on the machine but that may be where to look. Hopefully one of the guys on here might have seen similar and be able to offer a suggestion? Sorry not to be more help. My little CNC is still out of action so I can't run a test on it...

One other question just out of interest - do you see a significant improvement in the finish after running the Y as well as the X raster? At 8% stepover I would expect it to be pretty good after one pass?
Cheers,
James

Warren
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Warren »

One other question just out of interest - do you see a significant improvement in the finish after running the Y as well as the X raster? At 8% stepover I would expect it to be pretty good after one pass?

Hi James,

That was the main reason I asked Phil for his cut direction, tool size and offset. (I could see the direction of cut)
I think Phil miss typed his offset and it should have read, 0.01 step over. That would make it 8% with a 1/8" tool.

When I had cut this file several months back, in MDF, with the same step over I had similar results. Cutting into MDF or soft Pine isn't much of a problem to remove any tool marks with a bit of sandpaper but in Clear Acrylic I was trying to achieve a completely smooth finish without having to finish by hand.

Although it took almost an hour to do the finishing pass, I thought I would give it a second pass at 90º to see what results I got.
There obviously wasn't much material removed from the second pass but I did notice some small chips coming off.
So I wouldn't say there was a significant improvement but with bits being removed there must be some.

You can see a close up of my results in the two pictures attached. Also I did a preview of the part in 3dm.

Cheers,
Warren.
Attachments
Preview.jpg
MDF.jpg
Acrylic.jpg